Hard and Holy: Martha

Martha in the Bible was still Martha, but no one gives her credit for her growth. We just like to teach about her “before” mistakes with Jesus, and make Mary out to be the heroine. After Lazarus died, her tenacious, task-driven, strong personality was still present, but redeemed. She said “If you had been here, my brother would not have died. But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask…I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is come into the world.”* She again calls Jesus out, as she did when she wanted Mary’s help, but this time, she calls Him out in his power, his position, and as the Savior of the world to make it as he saw fit, not the Savior of HER world, to make it how she wanted it to be. People change. People grow. The economy of Jesus allows for grace and growth. I’ll always be tenacious. I’ll always be task-driven. I’ll always be strong (and likely snarky). But may it be to magnify HIM, not shape my life as I want it to be. May the grace and growth for others be also in us. 

*John 11: 21-22

Comments